News Reporting And Writing III
(Specialized News writing)
1. Reporting from the Beat. i) What is beat reporting; ii) Who is a beat reporter; iii) Types of Beats; iv) Principles of Reporters on a Beat
2. Specialized Reporting: i) Who is a specialized reporter; ii) Personal qualities; iii) online reporting / qualities
3. Science and Technology reporting: i) Issues for science and Technology coverage, qualities of a good science and technology report.
4. Reporting Sports i)Role of a sports reporter, qualities of sources of information for a sports reporter, checklist for a sports reporter:
5. Writing News reports: Storytelling (Why and how), lead and nut graph, analytical and explanatory writing, value addition; comparative style of different newspapers and their personalities.
6. Reporting crime and the courts: i) crime; ii) Disaster; iii) Accidents; iv) Fire; v) obituary reporting; vi) effective court reporting.
7. The Radio Documentary: i) Types of documentary; ii) actuality documentary insert; iii) A word about documentary narration.
8. Radio Magazine Programme: Types of a magazine, general radio magazine, and the written or fully scripted document. The use of music, the job of the producer.
9. Radio Documentary Programme Formats: Outline for a radio programme; Magazine programme format.
10. The Telephone Interview: Planning and Broadcast interview, questions for a beginner; what do during the interviews; Losing control of the interview.
11. Radio broadcast: i) selecting stories and starting to write ii) The PAGE test.
12. Parliamentary Reporting.
Application for admission should be made on the prescribed forms obtainable from the School. Completed application forms should be submitted together with two passport- sized photographs and a certified copy of student results slip and certificates within the prescribed period of time to the registrar.
(5) Five passes including Mathematics and English Language
O’LEVEL / GBCE And A’ Level / ABC applicants
Five passes including English Language and Mathematics